Our team is built around people who are energetic and enthusiastic about creating the best possible experience for our customers. If you are ready to build your career with a winning team, you’ve come to the right place. Please see below for current openings.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented professional to join our growing team as a Corporate Controller. Reporting to the President, The Corporate Controller plays a key role on the Zimco corporate management team. The Controller is responsible for all facets of fiscal stewardship for the Company. This includes the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of a system of accounting records, ongoing development of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, continually enhancing the accuracy of the Company’s reported financials, and ensuring the reported results comply with GAAP/ASPE.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Corporate Controller is responsible for financial reporting, pricing/cost/margin analysis, budgeting, forecasting, payroll, foreign currency hedging, cash flow planning, tax planning, auditor and banking relationships, treasury and investment strategies and is expected to play a role at the executive level with business growth and strategy discussions. This is a “hands on” role that requires attention to detail and execution of deliverables.
- Lead in the annual budget process and coordinate the draft for the annual Business Plan and the development of the financial strategic plan
- Oversee and help maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department – currently with one Sr. Accountant.
- Protect operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential and secure.
- Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment.
- Regularly monitor inventory levels and optimize the benefits of Inventory Advisor to improve inventory turnover rates and drive sales.
- Work with the external accountants to develop financial and tax strategies. Pursue potential govt. grant programs as appropriate to offset tax liability.
- Develop relationships with Zimco’s third party providers; ERP system, external accountants, corporate currency exchange, and capital management firm.
- Help develop KPIs and performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction.
The Controller provides oversight and is accountable to:
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that accounts receivable is collected promptly.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed (daily with Canadian Bank account and weekly with US account).
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis. File annual returns to AB, BC, SK WCB
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system and a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Maintain and reconcile the SunLife Benefit program.
- Coordination of the monthly MDA to the Senior Leadership Team and subsequent presentation and review with the SLT: This includes: Written Executive Summary; Complete set of financial statements (actual versus budget analysis) DSO and DPO; Trailing Twelve Gross Margin by Product line; ROI by Product line; Annual Gross Margin Forecast; Inventory KPIs, Business Development stats for Inside and Outside Sales staff; Web Stats; Geographic Revenue Allocation
- Compilation of monthly financial statements including accruals, prepaids, amortization, profit sharing plan calculation, tax provision and subsequent working papers to support balances.
- Coordinate and prepare other financial reports as needed by management.
- Ensure calculation and issuance of financial and operating metrics.
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing and consolidating financial data.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide financial analyses as needed for capital investments, pricing decisions and contract negotiations.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Work with the external accountants, issue timely and complete financial statements for management review after monthly, and annual period close
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for reviewed statements or annual audits.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with provincial and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
To be successful in this role you have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 7+ years of accounting and business experience, at least 3 of which is in a management capacity.
- Professional designation as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA/CGA/CMA) is required. Additional education including a CFA or MBA will be considered an asset.
- Experience leading and mentoring a team.
- Excellent analysis skills, knowledge of GAAP/ASPE and the ability to collaborate with a multi-department team.
- Experience working in an Oil & Gas and distribution business environment would be an asset.
Key Success Factors
Leadership Skills – Will be a strong team player with the ability to work comfortably with operations and support staff. Sets clear personal standards for quality of work, avoiding inefficiency wherever possible. Ability to apply logical thinking to solve problems or accomplish tasks. Provides strategic company growth ideas from a financial perspective.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills – Has an open, honest, and consistent approach to working with others. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both informally and formally as well as in writing. Is an active listener and has excellent presentation skills. Seeks out and values others’ input and expertise when appropriate. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals.
Personal Management Skills – Possess self-confidence and interpersonal flexibility, perseverance and most of all, integrity. Maintains a high personal moral standard of conduct and develops credibility through example and performance. Ability to build, train, coach and lead an effective team.
Multi-task Oriented – Ability to change gears quickly. Manage heavy workloads and tight deadlines, analyze, assess and make appropriate recommendations both internally and externally.
Committed to Personal Excellence – Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in their field. Understands organizational challenges and is a “progressive idea person” committed to excellence and innovation in the workplace. Self-motivated and encourages others to achieve personal excellence.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
Email cover letter and resume at email@example.com
For more information and details on Zimco’s growing business, please visit our About Zimco page.